English Update: Use of Will and Would

English Update

If You want to increase your Knowledge about English on daily basis Dont forget to follow the blog,Thanks

Monday 21 May 2018

Use of Will and Would

Will
• It is used with the second and third persons in future tense:-
(1) He will fly to America tomorrow.
(2) She will be ten next year.
(3) You will do this work in the evening.
(4) They will leave for Agra next Monday.
(5) Schools will reopen on Monday.
• It is used with the second person in questions, making polite requests, invitations, etc.:-
(1) Will you please do me a favour?
(2) Will you accompany me to the airport?
(3) Will you lend me a hundred rupees?
(4) Will you pass the salad?
(5) Will you please open the windows?
(6) Will you attend my marriage?
• It is used with the first person to indicate determination,
threat, promise, intention, etc.:-
(1) I will teach you a bitter lesson.
(2) I will cross this river, come what may.
(3) I will buy a good book on the English grammar.
(4) We will stay here tonight.
(5) I will try to do better next time.
• It is used with the third person in interrogative sentences:-
(1) Will it rain heavily tonight?
(2) Will he speak the truth?
(3) Will they fight with their neighbours?
(4) Will she go shopping in the evening?
(5) Will they swim in the afternoon?
Would
• It is used as the past tense of 'will':-
(1) My father told me that he would take me to the zoo next Tuesday.
(2) He knew that he would need some money.
(3) I asked him if he would solve the sums.
(4) The teacher asked Mohan if he would pay the fine.
(5) I told her that I would help her in distress.
• It is used to make polite requests and suggestions:-
(1) What would you take?
(2) I would take coffee with burger.
(3) Would you lend me a thousand rupees?
(4) Would you pay me by cheque?
(5) Would you accompany me to the station?
• It is used to describe the consequences of an imagined event:-
(1) If you had your hair cut short, you would look handsome.
(2) If you behave gently, everybody would respect you.
(3) If I won a lottery, I would set-up a school in this village.
(4) If I owned a car, I would drive it by myself.
(5) If I were a bird, I would fly in the sky.
• It is used to describe a condition in the past:-
(1) If I had seen him, I would have talked to him.
(2) If I had been there, I would have beaten him.
(3) If I had owned a car, I would have driven it by myself.
(4) If it had rained on time, the crops would not have been destroyed.
(5) If he had come to me, I would have helped him.
• It is used to express preferences:-
(1) I would like to go there alone.
(2) I would prefer sugar to salt.
(3) I would prefer jogging to cycling.
(4) I would prefer coffee to tea.
(5) I would like to eat a sandwich.
• It is used to comment on characteristic behaviour or habitual or repeated activities:-
(1) I would drink a lot of milk when I was young.
(2) I would go for a walk every morning.
(3) I would fast once a month when I was in college.
(4) I would quarrel a lot when I was a child.
(5) I would fly kites during my childhood.
Note that 'would' is equivalent to 'used to'.
• It is used to make requests using wish:-
(1) I wish they would behave well.
(2) I wish he would not make a noise.
(3) I wish you would listen to your teacher.
(4) I wish you would be sincere.
(5) I wish she would sing sweetly.

No comments: