English Update: Use of Shall and Should

English Update

If You want to increase your Knowledge about English on daily basis Dont forget to follow the blog,Thanks

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Use of Shall and Should

Shall
• It is used with the first person in future tense:-
(1) We shall go to a grand party in the evening.
(2) I shall give you a few tips on cooking.
(3) I shall go to America by plane tomorrow.
(4) I shall invite all my friends to tea.
(5) We shall go to the club tomorrow.
• It is used with the second and third persons to indicate promise, threat, command, determination, certainty, etc.:-
(1) Children, you shall have a holiday tomorrow.
(2) Our soldiers shall fight to the last.
(3) You shall speak the truth.
(4) You shall be fired if you don't behave properly.
(5) I shall be leaving as soon as I am called.
Should
It is used to indicate obligation or duty:-
(1) We should obey traffic rules.
(2) You should serve your ailing parents.
(3) He should observe discipline in the classroom.
(4) One should keep one's promise.
(5) We should always speak the truth.
• It is used in indirect speech as the past form of 'shall':-
(1) The teacher advised the students that they should brush their teeth twice a day.
(2) The captain instructed the soldiers that they should fight to the finish.
(3) Mother advised her son that he should always speak the truth.
(4) My father told me that I should never tell a lie.
(5) My parents told me that we should pray to the Almighty daily without fail.
• It is used to indicate a condition in the present tense:-
(1) Should you lose your way, ask somebody.
(2) Should you go out, post this letter.
(3) Should you miss the bus, go by train.
(4) Should you reach there safely, inform me.
(5) Should you play well, you are sure to win.
Note that 'should' is equivalent to 'if'.
• It is used after conjunction 'lest':-
(1) Work hard lest you should fail.
(2) Work carefully lest you should stumble down.
(3) The pickpocket ran away lest he should be caught redhanded by the policeman.
(4) Speak softly lest you should be heard.
(5) Speak softly lest you should be heard by others.
Note that 'lest' is always followed by 'should' irrespective of the tense. In other words, whatever is the tense—present or past or future—'lest' is always followed by 'should'.


Please share this post with your friends and other group members.

No comments: