English Update: Use of Can and Could

English Update

If You want to increase your Knowledge about English on daily basis Dont forget to follow the blog,Thanks

Monday 21 May 2018

Use of Can and Could

Can
• It is used to indicate ability or physical strength:-
(1) He can climb this mountain.
(2) My grandpa can walk for a mile at a stretch.
(3) She can play football.
(4) We can solve this problem.
(5) She can move this heavy trunk by herself.
Note carefully that the first form of the Main Verb is used after 'can' in each of the sentences. Never write or say—I can did this work. It is absolutely wrong. Always write or say—I can do this work.
• It is used to indicate acquired knowledge or skill:-
(1) She can play on the piano.
(2) We can dance very well.
(3) He can sing sweetly.
(4) She can cook food.
(5) My father can fly a plane.
• It is used to indicate that someone is aware of something through one of his senses:-
(1) He can see with his eyes.
(2) She can hear with her ears.
(3) I can feel with my skin.
(4) You can taste with your tongue.
(5) One can smell with one's nose.
• It is used to describe what is considered characteristic, what somebody or something is considered capable of being or doing:-
(1) Tsunami can be lethal at times.
(2) The elephant can be furious at any time.
(3) It can be biting hot here in June and July.
(4) He can be eccentric at times.
(5) It can be windy as well as snowy on hills.
Could
• It is used to indicate the past tense of 'can':-
(1) He ran so fast that he could catch the bus.
(2) He told me that he could read the novel.
(3) I could reach there on time.
(4) I could help him in distress.
(5) He worked so hard that he could stand first in the class.
• It is used to indicate a polite request:-
(1) Could you tell me the way to the nearest inn?
(2) Could you lend me your bicycle for a day?
(3) Could you solve this sum?
(4) Could you postpone the meeting for a few days?
(5) Could you bring me a glass of water?
Please be noted that this use of 'could' is employed in interrogative sentences only.
• It is used to indicate ability in the past:-
(1) When I was a child, I could drink a glass of milk in one draught.
(2) I could run for miles at a stretch when I was in my teens.
(3) When I was ten years old, I could solve crossword puzzles in the twinkling of an eye.
(4) She could play on the mouth-organ when she was six.
(5) My father could memorize ten new English words daily when he was in college.

No comments: